Initiated in Oxford in 1968, the European Study Groups with Industry (ESGI) bring together industrial scientists and academic mathematicians to work on problems affecting the industry. These Study Groups represent an internationally recognized method for technology and knowledge transfer between academic institutions and industry. The objectives pursued are:
- find solutions and bring new insights to existing industrial problems;
- establish lasting and productive working relations between mathematicians and industry;
- propose new lines of research based on business challenges;
- reinforce the importance of mathematics in industry and mathematical profiles companies; and
- stimulate greater awareness of the power of mathematics to provide solve real-world problems.
COST Action TD1409, Mathematics for Industry Network (MI-NET) co-organizes and co-funds this event. The ESGI is also co-funded by the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness – State Research Agency with the nº of reference MTM2016-81745-REDT through the Thematic Network RTMath-in, granted within the call “Networks of Excellence” 2016, through the Strategic Network in Mathematics with the nº of reference MTM2016-81711-REDE, Galician Institute for Economic Promotion (IGAPE) from the Reginal Government of Galicia and by ROMSOC project, financed by the EU within the Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under the Marie-Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 765374.
This 147 ESGI is a satellite meeting of ICIAM 2019 that will be held in July at Valencia, Spain.